Vaughan earns Community Service Award
MURFREESBORO – Now that meetings are being held in-person again, the Murfreesboro Fire Department had the opportunity to present a long-awaited Community Service Award at the July 14 meeting of the Murfreesboro Town Council.
Makahi Vaughan was recognized for his brave actions during a house fire last November.
Deputy Fire Chief Harrison Revelle, who presented the plaque, explained that the fire occurred around 4:30 a.m. on Nov. 2, 2020, sparked by the house furnace. Vaughan, who was 15 years old at the time, woke up to discover the smoke and fire, and quickly helped get the rest of his family out of the house. After that, Vaughan grabbed a water hose and crawled under the house to put out the fire himself.
“You don’t see that [quick action] too often from adults, much less minors,” Revelle said, commending Vaughan for his “heroism and bravery.”
Revelle added that he hoped Vaughan might consider a future career in firefighting.
The audience in attendance at the meeting gave Vaughan a standing ovation after the presentation.